Cause Related Marketing – Act Locally
The dictionary definition of Cause Related Marketing is a type of marketing involving the cooperative efforts of a for-profit business and a non-profit organization for mutual benefit.
Cause Related Marketing can be a good tactic to add to your marketing strategy as it is mutually beneficial to both sides – everyone benefits, the charity gets some well-deserved acknowledgement and hopefully donations and the for-profit business gets publicity and some goodwill. Unfortunately, what I see all too often is a local business partnering with a large, national charity. And, while there is nothing wrong with these charities, they are more than likely funded by a number of very large corporate donors. These large donors will be getting the national charity’s attention while the smaller partner gets lost in the shuffle. Now, of course if these national charities are near and dear to your heart, by all means support them, simply donate money.
If partnering with a charity is part of your marketing strategy, my suggestion is to look for a charity that is in your own backyard – a reputable, local charity that has a lot of ties to the community. There are many benefits;
- A local charity will appreciate support from a local company.
- You can actually get to know the people that work for the charity
- Other community members will see you as helping them and truly giving back which in turn will put a growing business in the minds of the local community.
- A local charity’s database of donors is probably mostly local people who will support companies that support their charity. This could provide you with a lot more leads.
- For local charities, small donations can make a big difference to their ability to serve the community – you will actually make a difference.
- Local charities are often in a position to offer low-cost sponsorship opportunities allowing you to get a lot more for your money.
- One of the biggest benefits of partnering with a local charity is the Public Relations opportunity. If you are holding an event or becoming a drop-off venue for donations your local media is much more likely to spread the word.
Partnering with a charity can be a very beneficial for a business. By choosing to work with a local charity, a businesses can build lasting relationships in the local area, ones that may lead to more business, and in return help a charity receive much-needed attention and funds. It’s a win-win situation.